Sanctuary Terms & Conditions
- All activities are managed by Rhino Fund Uganda and are only hosted by Amuka Lodge. Amuka Lodge will book and arrange any desired activities on behalf of our clients however payment for these activities should be made directly to Rhino Fund Uganda. These payments can be received in either USD ($) or UGX (Uganda Shillings) at Amuka Lodge however all clients will be provided with a Rhino Fund Uganda receipt.
- Moving around. While Amuka Lodge and all our staff go to great lengths to ensure your safety please note that Amuka Lodge is “in the heart of rhino territory” and as a result we are surrounded by African wildlife. Please be sure to move with a strong torch/flashlight as well as to reduce on all unnecessary movement. If during your stay you come across any wildlife please be sure to notify any Amuka Lodge senior personnel for investigation. Being a conservation driven project we also do not believe in using any large insecticide or fumigation equipment and as a result in certain seasons insects may be present during your stay. Please ensure to bring efficient insect repellents as well as to keep all light usage to the minimum required amount as to reduce any possible discomforts.
- Rhino Trekking is one of our “All Day” activities and can be arranged any time between 7:30am and 5pm. However, due to natural rhino behavior the most optimal time for this activity is early morning and late afternoon making the best times to arrange your rhino trekking between 7:30am - 9am and 4pm – 5pm.
Starting times for Activities as laid out by Rhino Fund Uganda should be strictly adhered to. The starting times for activities are as follow;
- Rhino Trekking - All day activity. No specific time.
- Shoebill Canoe Safari - 6am
- Night Walk - 9:00pm
- Pangolin and Aardvark Safari - 1am
- Nature Walk - All day activity. No specific time.
- Birding Walk - All day activity. No Specific time.
Rhino Fund Uganda Regulations and Safety Guidelines
- Gate Times - Opens 07H30 and closes 18H00
- Any unauthorized movement within the sanctuary whether on foot or in a private vehicle is strictly prohibited. Due to the security of our rhinos, infringement of the above will be seen as a security risk and would be dealt with accordingly.
- Driving within the sanctuary after 18H00 is not allowed
- Speed limit within Sanctuary - 30 Kilometers per hour
- Driving around or Bush walks without a guide is strictly prohibited
- Use of GPS within the Sanctuary is not allowed
- Littering, Feeding & Touching of animals is strictly prohibited
- NO FIREARMS ALLOWED - Please declare on entry at Main Gate
- A USD 50 fine is payable for not adhering to any of the above
SAFETY WHILE TREKKING
- WE ADVISE - Closed Shoes, Long Pants, and no bright colored clothing
- LISTEN to your guide’s briefing and FOLLOW his instructions
- SWITCH OFF your mobile phone or keep it on silent
- DO NOT make noise or quick movements when by the rhinos
- STAY NEAR trees or bushes when near the rhino
- YOU CANNOT touch these rhinos they are WILD ANIMALS
- Your guide has the authority to withdraw your group from Trekking should you or anyone in your group not adhere to the safety precautions given by him
- BE AWARE of other wild animals and snakes
The Management and Staff of Amuka Lodge and Rhino Fund Uganda would like to thank you, for taking the time to visit our Sanctuary and rhinos. The fee you pay for your rhino trekking or activity, contributes directly to the upkeep and running expenses of this rhino conservation program.